- At Ellis, more than 50% of the senior class earn merit scholarships at college.
- At Ellis, 20% of the class recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
- At Ellis, approximately 50% of the senior class is recognized as an Advanced Placement Scholar by the College Board.
- At Ellis, average SAT score - 250 points above the national average.
- Joanna Schultz serves as chair of the Pennsylvania Association for College Counseling’s Professional Development Committee and serves as director of a yearly training seminar for experienced secondary school counselors run by the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- At Ellis, seniors work closely with the college counselor to determine the best match of institutions which reflect their interests and values.
Ellis is a college preparatory school deeply committed to helping students achieve desirable options for their continuing education. To that end, Ellis provides students and their parents with the information and guidance they need throughout their high school career, particularly in the college application process. Joanna Schultz, The Ellis School College Counselor has provided excerpts from her wealth of information.
For the students, the best way to prepare for college is to take full advantage of all that Ellis has to offer for personal growth. Students should take challenging courses and do their best in them, develop their skills and talents in activities, and use the services of the school to find interesting travel, study, and work opportunities during vacation periods.
The college guidance process begins officially with group, individual, and family meetings in the 9th grade at Ellis and continues until graduation. The following pages highlight the vital roles that students, parents, and the school will play in this collaborative effort and contain a fund of useful information, suggestions, and guidelines.
Try not to let current hype, anxiety, or taxing paperwork spoil what should be an important process of growing self-awareness and mature decision making for students. Good communication, foresight, pacing, and a sense of humor can make the college application process an educational and developmental process for both parents and students. And sometimes it can even be fun!
College Board Code Number
The College Board Code Number for the Ellis School is 393-695. Learn this number! You will need to use it frequently on standardized test forms and for college applications."