8HISTORY—WebQuest: European Imperialism and Regional Responses
Various nations of East Asia and Africa had unique responses to European imperialism during the
years 1850 to 1914. India, China, Japan, and South Africa each underwent significant attempts at
control from various European countries during this time.
The differing responses of these countries to European imperialism were influenced by the unique
geography, culture, and resources that existed in each country at that time.
Task and Product
1. You will research one of the affected countries in order to answer these questions:
* How were the responses of individual countries to European imperialism unique?
* What aspects of these cultures influenced their unique responses?
* What means of resistance did individual countries use?
* Which means of resistance was/were most effective?
2. Choose one of the following countries for your research:
India China Japan Thailand South Africa
3. You will become a specialist about your particular country's culture and its response to
European imperialism. You will present your findings to the class.
4. You will also listen to presentations about other countries in order to draw conclusions about
European imperialism in a final essay.
You will be graded on the following:
* Your understanding of the concepts presented in an extended constructed response.
1. What about your country was appealing to imperialistic nations?
2. Which European countries attempted to control your country; how did they go about it?
3. How was your country's response to European imperialism unique?
4. What aspects of your country's culture influenced its unique response?
Preparing the Presentation: Gather
1. Gather information from a variety of sources.
2. Click here for Questions/Subtopic List.
Preparing the Presentation: Organize
1. Use the Questions/Subtopics List (see above) to evaluate the completeness of your notes. You
may also use this list as an outline for your presentation.
2. Prepare your Works Cited page following the MLA Bibliographic Form guidelines (used for
your research paper).
3. Review the Panel Discussion Scoring Tool to ensure that you are prepared to present your
information to the class.
Listening to the Presentation
As you listen to the panel discussions for each country, jot down key ideas and important details
on the Listening for Details chart.
Using your notes or Listening for Details chart, choose two countries and compare their
resistance to European control. Write an essay (extended constructed response) in which you
discuss the following:
* How did each of these countries respond to European attempts at control?
* What cultural aspects of each country influenced this response?
* Which country's method of resistance seemed most effective? Why?
* How did each country gain its independence?
* To what degree did each country's response to imperialism lead to its independence?
This rubric will be used to score your response.
Adapted from an activity created by Joyce Caldwell ,Kelly Ray, and Phyllis Fullem, Library
Media Specialists, BCPS Summer Curriculum Development Workshops, July 2000.
BCPS Research Module, Copyright 2000, Baltimore County Public Schools,