Major events took place shortly before 1900 that would define the highlights and lowlights of the century we will examine this year. To better understand where the world would head during the 20th Century, It is important to be familiar with these events. Groups of THREE will conduct reasearch into the events listed below. After answering a series of questions about each, you will agree on the ONE event that you choose as being the most significant in shaping the century to come. Answers to the questions (30 points) and the strength of the support for your choice of the event with the most significant impact (10 points) will be evaluated and each group member will receive the same grade.
.....The Communist Manifesto is published
.....The Spanish-American War
.....The Franco-Prussian War
.....Inventions related to the automobile
.....Inventions related to communications
Inventions & Inventors
USS Merrimac; USS Maine
Treaty of Paris
KEY PEOPLE (10):
William Randolph Hearst
Otto von Bismark
KEY QUESTIONS (10):
1. Why would Marxism be such a popular movement in 1800's Europe?
2. Why didn't the masses there follow the democratic example of the U.S.?
3. What was the connection between the dominance of European
nations and their naval forces in the 1800's?
4. Why was Cuba at the center of the bad relations between the U.S. and Spain?
5. What was the Treaty of Paris and why was it so important to U.S. expansion?
6. How did the FFranco-Prussian War begin?
7. Which nations made up the opposing sides in this war?
8. What was the geopolitical outcome of this war?
9. HWhat were some of the most significant advances in transportation at the turn of the century?
10 How did advances in communications change the world at this time?